The Development Manager role is to ensure the effective development and efficient operation of IT application solutions in alignment with the business objectives of the organization. This individual will plan, coordinate, and supervise activities related to the design, development and implementation of organizational information systems and software applications, as well as database design and administration. The Development Manager is also responsible for providing level 2 and level 3 support for applications and databases. The Development Manager will be a member of the IT Management Team and will work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective information system solutions for all aspects of the organization. This person will also define and implement IT policies, procedures, and appropriate practices related to the IT information databases and software systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and administer strategies for the control and sharing of company database resources and services.
- Ensure that development projects meet requirements and goals as designed and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Review and analyze existing application execution and performance, and then develop strategies for improving.
- Participate as a member of the IT Management Team in governance processes for projects, architecture and operations
- Develop and implement functional policies and procedures for software development and test execution.
- Develop long-term goals for production databases in conjunction with data owners and department managers.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Manage the development and deployment of new applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Collaborate with analysts, designers, and system owners in the testing of new software programs and applications.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Develop requests for proposal
- Negotiate and administer vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements
- Manage IT Solution Development and Database staffing – including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions
- Identify and resolve program errors
- Provide technical leadership to project managers, database administrators and programmers working on development project teams
- Develop, test and install enhancements and upgrades to systems and application software
- Intermediate with software architects and engineers to assist with quality assurance, program logic, and data processing
- Cultivate, disseminate, and enforce functional policies, procedures, and quality assurance best practices.
- Where necessary, prepare, establish, and monitor budgets
- Ensure the stability and reliability of data access and data quality across the organization via ongoing database support and maintenance
- Develop and deploy end-user practices and tools for data extraction, queries, and data manipulation in accordance with business processes
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases
Knowledge & Experience
- 5 years experience managing and/or directing software development and/or programming design and systems management
- Experience in overseeing the direction, design, development, and implementation of software solutions
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
- Technically fluent in software development tools, and programming languages
- In-depth experience with data management and data processing flowcharting techniques
- Broad knowledge of reporting and query tools and practices
- Strong technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting database servers
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience
- Good project management skills and/or substantial exposure to project-based work structures, project lifecycle models, etc
- Experience in strategic technology planning, execution, and policy development
- Working knowledge of infrastructure environments – including services, servers, telecommunications, networks, desktops, etc
- Exposure to business theory, business processes, management, budgeting, and business office operations
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations as they relate to technology issues
- Understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures
- Proven leadership skills
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong tactical skills
- Ability to conduct research into application development issues and products
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards, and products
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating business cases, budgets, and so on
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Exceptional service orientation
§ Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Bachelor degree in the field of computer systems design or computer science, and/or 10 years equivalent work experience.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com