The consultant will provide Java application software development services or technical support typically in a defined project. Develops program logic for new Java applications or analyzes and modifies logic in existing applications. Codes, tests, debugs, documents, implements and maintains software applications. Analyzes requirements, and maintains, tests and integrates application components. Ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented. Usually requires 5 to 10 years of previous experience.
The consultant will work with a team within IT and directly with scientists to develop software platforms that enable research and development efforts. The accepted candidate will join the emerging field of IT systems informatics leveraging their technical expertise to play a key role in defining and delivering breakthrough science in high throughput R&D platforms for the client.
The successful candidate will work with the team to develop and maintain enterprise-level Java/Oracle applications. The candidate will work as part of a team comprised of a project manager, scientific business analysts, and other members of the technical staff to develop software in Java and Oracle SQL.
BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
The candidate must possess the following technical experience:
- Minimum requirements include at least 6-10 years of full time experience as a programmer/analyst in a scientific or technical environment.
- Minimum 5 years experience working in the US as a programmer/analyst in a scientific or technical environment.
- Experience in software development using Java, Oracle, XML (minimum 6 years of Java and 4 years with Oracle SQL).
- Experience with Java servlets.
- Experience with refactoring.
- Experience at developing multi-tier applications.
- Experience with Object-Oriented methodologies.
- Experience with and knowledge of some high level GO4 design patterns (above and beyond J2EE patterns).
- Experience with the Spring framework.
- Experience with Hibernate.
- Experience with automated testing with Junit.
- Understand and be able to explain the value of using Test First Development methodology.
- A demonstrated ability to learn and acquire new technologies as needed as well as a willingness to do collaborative software development is necessary.
- Experience with Test First Development methodology.
- Experience with Maven.
- Experience with Web Services.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are highly desired.
Desired skills/education/experience/attributes (ideal candidate):
Candidates who succeed in this fast paced dynamic environment excel in the following competencies:
- Functional Competency: Demonstrates broad knowledge of functional skills. Has the ability to perform at a high level of accomplishment and willingness to learn new technologies and practices. The ideal candidate will be a skilled, creative problem solver, independent of any specific technology.
- Team Orientation: Works cooperatively with others. Encourages participation. Values the contribution of others.
- Results Orientation: Fosters a sense of urgency, identifies and overcomes obstacles. Balances the big picture with day-to-day activities/issues for their technology. Persistent in the pursuit of results.
- Communication: Creates an environment that fosters open, frank communication. Clearly expresses oneself orally and in writing. Listens carefully, solicits other opinions.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org