The position’s role is to plan, organize, and manage staff and overall operations to ensure the stable operation of the organization’s midrange server infrastructure. This includes developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas – particularly the midrange server infrastructure. The position will also schedule and direct activities to resolve hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion.
As the Manager Midrange Services, the candidate will drive solutions for the management of a complex environment of midrange systems. The candidate will architect solutions and strategies that drive a rationalized/managed environment of hosted private cloud and on premise services. This role leads resources both internally, as well as manages outsourced resources as required.
The candidate will extensively collaborate with other functional and technical teams as required to ensure midrange solutions are properly documented and deployed. An ideal candidate must have Service Delivery Management-Midrange Server experience in a large scale organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Design and implement short- and long-term strategic plans to ensure capacity meets existing and future requirements
– Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for administration and project management
– Participate in the development of IT strategies in collaboration with the executive team
– Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols, and standards in support of midrange procurement and development efforts
– Establish service level agreements with business units
– Prepare RFPs, bid proposals, contracts, scope of work reports, and other documentation for midrange projects and associated efforts
– Negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure midrange-specific products and services
– Assist with the planning and deployment of midrange security measures
– Manage and set priorities for the design, maintenance, development, and evaluation of all midrange systems
– Conduct feasibility studies for various upgrade projects, improvements, and other conversions
– Define hardware and software standards in conjunction with owners and stakeholders
– Test server performance and provide performance statistics and reports; develop strategies for maintaining server infrastructure
– Manage operational costs; conduct near- and long-term financial forecasts for expanded functionality/user base
– Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, decision-makers, stakeholders, department heads, and end users regarding pertinent infrastructure activities
– Practice IT asset management, including maintenance of component inventory and related documentation
– Direct and administrate a contingent of internal/external analysts and technicians, and where necessary, conduct performance reviews and corrective action
– Maintain a strong understanding of industry protocols in server engineering, operating systems, patching and maintenance standards as well as expertise and management of co-sourcing and multi-sourcing service providers.
– Experience and Skills to oversee service delivery across infrastructure and cross-functional towers of service.
– Tactical technical leadership for collaboration between architecture, strategy, and technology life cycle as well as interfacing with application and service groups for implementation and support of end-to-end solutions.
– Understand midrange server implementation and outsource provider(s) contractual support requirements.
– Lead in evaluating strategic business partners who can provide improved technical solutions and benefits to the Enterprise.
– Support customer focus and priorities through effective project management.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience
– Bachelor degree in the field of computer science, information technology or business administration
Knowledge & Experience
– Minimum 7 years of appropriate experience
– Exceptional knowledge of service and application delivery, as well as successful service level agreement accomplishments
– In-depth experience successfully leading an midrange server team
– Hands-on experience in troubleshooting hardware
– Knowledge of current protocols and standards
– Conversant with programming languages
– Application support experience
– Experience in interpreting the applicability of local and federal laws/regulations to company operations
– Ability to make sound and logical judgments
– Demonstrated leadership and personnel/project management skills
– Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
– Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
– Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating needs assessments, budgets, and so on
– Able to conduct research into issues and products as required
– Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergency situations
– Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language
– Highly self-motivated and directed
– Keen attention to detail
– Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
– Strong customer service orientation
– Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– See Above
Titles Reporting to this Position:
– Server Administrator
– Technical Analyst
Licensing and Certification:
– Certifications not required, but preference for SAP certifications, Six Sigma Black Belt, etc.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
– Operate in an office environment
– On-call availability and periodic overtime
– Sitting for extended periods of time
– Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computing equipment
– Up to 25%, including regular travel to/from various company locations